The next stop that we made was in New Jersey on the New Jersey Turnpike! We pulled into one of those huge stopping places with food, gas, coffee, shops and icecream. As we got in line for our (rather disgusting) pizza, two guys stepped in line behind us. Brekken was wearing a basketball shirt so one of the guys asked where she played. She told him that she plays at a small school in Georgia. He proceeded to talk about how nice the South is. Brekken was agreeing with him when I blurted out "actually we hate the North and we are trying to get down there as quickly as possible!" I don't know what came over me. Noelle thinks that subconsciously I wanted to get shot. After all, we were in a Northern state, surrounded by New Yorkers and they are definitely not known for being nice in the first place! The man in line in front of us stiffened and side glanced behind him but there was not a bad reaction from anyone else. In fact, the two men we were talking to proceeded to agree with us and laugh.
We continued on our way. Soon after I saw a sign for Taco Bell and proceeded to scream and yell and jump up and down for joy. Finally, hope for the near future of hitting a Southern state. Can you tell that we like the South?!!
Next we stopped for gas and icecream... it was 4:00am by now! The gas station that we stopped at did not have any icecream and by this time I was determined to find us some. We stopped at the next 24 hour station where there was a DQ inside. Of course it was closed but they had take home tubs in the freezer. Unfortunately the smallest size was a quart. That is a lot of icecream!!! We got two spoons and vowed to finish the whole thing. After 13 bites I told Brekken that I was through and couldn't eat anymore. Then I told her that she had to finish the whole thing because we had vowed to finish it and I wanted to blog it. She kept eating but made me have a few more bites. The only way that I convinced her to finish is because I told her that I would blog that she finished almost the whole thing and I really can't take credit for it at all.
I have decided that Brekken and Jimmy are getting married so I nag about it all of the time. So as soon as Kenya finished her icecream she said "if this doesn't make Jimmy fall in love with me I don't know what will!" I almost ran off the road because I was laughing so hard.
By the time we made it to SC we were both exhausted and so ready to be home. When we stopped at gas stations we thanked people for being Southern. It was so nice to see people that were just naturally kind. We don't appreciate the South as much as we should and I am glad that I got the chance to do so again. We then wrote a sign about how much we loved the South and taped it to the window!
August 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I just found your blog, I miss you so much! I haven't seen you in such a long time! We need to keep in touch. My blog is www.coffeemagic.blogspot.com and my email is dixiegirl88s@yahoo.com.
I love you!
~Susannah
Post a Comment