"WAKE UP... THE STREETS ARE FLOODED!!!"
This is what I woke up to this morning. Mom came rushing through the sorority rooms (Summer's, Meg's and mine) yelling for us to grab our keys and move our cars. If you don't already know, I am not the most alert person in the world when I first wake up! I had no idea what was going on and for just a half a second... I considered that Mom might actually be going insane. After all, we live in TEXAS... the land of no rain!!!
I slowly got up and, after acquiring the intense sense of urgency that the rest of the house seemed to have plenty of, I ran downstairs to observe the damage. As I stepped outside I could not believe what I was seeing... the street was covered in a foot and a half of water... not exaggerating!!!
What in the world? Summer and Meg had just moved their cars when I got downstairs and Sean was moving his as well. Sean's car was at the lowest point in the cul-de-sac and his car was flooded when he opened the door. Summers door skimmed the water as she carefully opened her car door. Thankfully, only Seans was flooded!
Very shortly after I got outside, the builder showed up and went pummeling across the body of stagnant water on our street. It was the first time that the street name, Stone Lake, actually fit!
He asked where the drain was and I directed him to the spot. He had to kick around to find it because the water was so deep and dirty that he would never have been able to find it otherwise.
He finally found it and proceeded to pull up the mesh grating that covered the drain. Because we are in a new subdivision there is a lot of dirt and not much grass. The grating was there to stop dirt from clogging the drain but instead, it stopped the water from draining.
When he had pulled it up the water from the whole cul-de-sac drained within 45 seconds. I considered getting up and going to class and then decided that it was time to go back to bed!
October 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
AHHHHH!!!
no one drowned, right?!?
I MISS YOU. im calling you this morning so we can finally talk.
by the way, youre a slacker. stop skipping school!!
i love you!
*morgan
Post a Comment