Pages

July 14, 2007

Feminists

I am in a class called Sex Roles. It is an upper level sociology class so one would expect mature adults to be taking the course... WRONG!!! The class is supposed to give you an understanding of the differences between men/masculinity and women/femininity.

The first day of class was awful. Now, I am the girl who was so disgusted with the "discussions" in my psychology class that I literally only went on test days. The difference here is that there is an attendance grade.

So the first thing that we did in this class was to compile a list of male and female traits on the board. It took us 45 minutes (a complete waste of time) to list all of the stereotypes that everyone already knows about men and women. People called out things to be written on the board that I would be embarrassed to think!!! Anyway, the guys in class repeatedly said, and agreed with each other, that sex is the ultimate goal and that is all guys really care about.

I tried to defend the men that I know by saying that all men are not like that. They promptly informed me that my guys are probably gay and just haven't "come out" yet. I was so disgusted with the laughing, jeering, immature and pathetic children that I am in class with that I almost considered dropping the course. Although this solution seems all well and good, if that were the case, I would not graduate in December and that is truly not acceptable.

So I went to class the next day praying for a lecture that was long and boring so that I could continue ignoring the class, reading a book and writing letters as I usually do in most of my classes. I was disappointed to realize that the class is very chatty.

Wednesday started the whole feminist theme. Women were unhappy because men insinuate that they are weaker by opening the door and buying them drinks. All the guys were defending themselves and asking "can't and guy just do something nice for a girl?" I promptly raised my hand and said that if women keep complaining every time that a guy does something nice that they will stop doing nice things for fear of our wrath and then we will hate all men stating that they are rude and never do anything nice for us.

I have a point to all this I promise. I began really thinking about the topics of discussion.

My thoughts are as follows:
I am very supportive of men/masculinity and the roles that God has placed them in OVER women. I believe in equality but I also believe that society is meant to function a specific way and that way is for women to be in submission to men. I can elaborate through email if you are concerned that I am putting down women. I am also totally against feminism BUT...

In line with the conversations over the two days of discussion...

a. All men ultimately want sex

b. Men are only trying to do something "nice" for girls

These two points contradict each other. Now I am certainly not ready to swing to a feminists point of view but I have realized that women who are living and participating in the secular world, have every right to feel the way that they do. The 75 guys in my class confirmed that fact. Men living in the secular world do not respect and love women the way that the Bible portrays thus the women in the secular world don't view submission as a joy.

I choose to surround myself with Christian men who are not "after one thing" so I am still able to appreciate men for who they are and what they stand for.

Ultimately, in my opinion, equality and true respect can only be found amongst Christians and the secular world can not be held accountable for these standards.

No comments: