Pages

July 06, 2007

Higher Education or a Degree???

Okay, so I know it sounds a little strange but my new favorite thing to watch is Hannah Montana. One of the girls at my group home LOVES Hannah Montana and watches it ALL the time. I think that I have officially seen every episode.

I am done with three of my summer classes, all A's so far so keep your fingers crossed, and now I only have to finish up three more!!! I am trying to graduate Cum Laude... which is a 3.8 to 3.99 GPA. As long as college classes stay ridiculously easy I think that I will be fine.

It is very interesting that, in society, a bachelors degree is still something that sets people apart. Although this is true now, soon there will be so many that it won't have any more status than a high school diploma. I this in one of my sociology classes. As supply (diplomas) goes up... demand will go down and one will need a masters to be "special."

This being the case, I ask you... why is it so easy to get a diploma? I have come to the conclusion that college is a joke... one that lasts for a very long time.I go to class sometimes, don't buy my books and I don't study and yet I still make A's. The first thing that comes to mind is "obviously she is at a REALLY easy school." I have attended 6 schools and I am currently at the University of North Texas along with 32,000 other students. Not really a school that you would single out as easy.

There has been a trend of simplicity throughout my college career. I am not saying that I have not run across the occasional headache of a class/teacher but, all in all....

Is this something that we are encouraging kids to achieve in life? Nothing? Go to college and get a degree!!!! Is that all that college is... a degree?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would DEFINITELY single out the University of North Texas as being easy. Try attending a REAL school, or at least on that's ranked in the top ONE HUNDRED universities in the nation and see how you do, THEN you can talk.